Mega Millions is one of the largest jackpot games in world, with it representing America’s leading lottery draw. With just $1, you can purchase a ticket for your chance to win some truly groundbreaking sums of money.
Looking at what makes up Mega Millions, in 1996 there were six states that participated in the original setup, that being Michigan, Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Georgia, and Illinois. As the game became more popular, a Tuesday drawing was introduced in February 1998. In 1999, New Jersey decided to join the six other states, while in 2002 New York and Ohio also joined the fray. Today, there are a total of 46 states involved in Mega Millions, including the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Mega Millions responsibilities are shared between the states that want to play the lottery. Each state will normally handle their own accounting and the main duties like jackpot predictions, budgets, expenses, settlements, data, monitoring, public relations, broadcasting supervision, and all related legal work are shared amongst all the states that continue to be involved.
Mega Millions looks like a big deal because for the most part it is and here is how you can get involved.
The Basics of Mega Millions
Mega Millions is played in 46 locations, 44 states, District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You can go online to find retail location information through the Mega Millions website at www.megamillions.com. Outside of that, the game has made quite the impact online, with it now being made available through various online lottery draw ticket distributors. Mega Millions drawings are held on Tuesday’s and Friday’s at 11:00 pm EST. You can find out the winning numbers by going online at www.megamillions.com shortly after the drawing times in order to see if you have the wining lotto result.
The Biggest Mega Millions Win
On March 30, 2012, the largest amount won in the Mega Millions game was split between three states in Kansas, Illinois, and Maryland. The amount won was $656 million dollars with three winning tickets. The second largest win was split between two players in California and Georgia on December 17 2013 for a pay out amount of $648 million.
How to Play Mega Millions
To play Mega Millions, you will need $1 to buy your ticket. Once you have paid for your ticket, you will be able to choose six numbers from two different draw pools. You will select five numbers from 1 to 75 out of the first draw pool. Then the last number will be selected from the second draw pool that ranges from 1 to 15.
You may also choose the “Easy Pick” option, which allows the computer to randomly pick Mega Millions numbers for you. This option is good for those who may have trouble deciding on numbers to select. Some players choose to use their birthday numbers, social security numbers, addresses, or children’s ages as they feel these numbers are considered lucky. Either way, when it comes to Euro Millions picks the choice really is up to you. Once you decide your numbers, you are given a print out (or email) showing the numbers you chose. Keep this print out and watch the Mega Millions lottery draw live or log onto the website to see the lottery results after the drawing is over.
The Mega Millions jackpot will start at $15 million and can grow each time there is no winner, or the jackpot rolls. The minimum added amount rolled is $5 million.
If your numbers are picked, to collect your winnings will depend on the state (or country) that you bought the tickets from, not necessarily where you live. Every winner has between 180 days and 365 days from the draw date to claim their prize. The jackpot falls when all six numbers are matched in a drawing, with the odds of that being 1 in 258,890,850.
Mega Millions Prizes and Jackpots
For you consideration, it will certainly be worth committing the following to memory, as it breaks down of all the prizes Mega Millions makes available.
- If you match all five numbers from the first draw pool but don’t match the second number, then you will receive $1 million
- If you match four numbers from the first draw pool, and get the number from the second draw pool right, then you win $5,000.
- If you match four numbers from the first draw pool, you’ll win $500.
- If you match three numbers from the first draw pool and get the second draw pool number, you win $50.
- If you match all three numbers from the first draw pool or two numbers from the first draw pool and the number from the second draw pool, you will win $5.
- If you match one number from the first draw pool and the number from the second draw pool, you will $2.
- If you match one number from the second draw pool, you get $1.
It should be noted that if you win the Mega Millions Jackpot you’ll be given a structured related payout. You will receive one single payment up front, with the rest divided into twenty-nine payments across the course of the year. Every payment that you receive will be five percent higher than the one before. In the past, payouts were issued in equal installments. Since the rising cost of living each year caused re-evaluation of the payout structure, payouts now account for any cost of living increase.
Improving your Odds at Winning the Mega Millions
Players who want to win the Mega Millions are trying different strategies to increase their chances of winning, including searching online to find tips on how to win the Mega Millions. Unfortunately, that information doesn’t even exist, as the game is completely randomised. Let’s face it; if there were a magic solution, everyone would be winning Mega Millions every single week. The winning lottery results are always changing, so you never know what they will be until drawing night. However, here are a few tips
- Rule #1 – Always choose one game and focus on it. Mega Millions is an inexpensive game to play and has a huge payout if you can win it. Instead of playing small games, simply focus on Mega Millions.
- Rule #2 – Go in with friends, family, or co-workers to buy more tickets. Then if you win, you can split the winnings with them. It’s more fun when you have someone to play Mega Millions with.
- Rule #3 – The Mega Millions jackpot is great but don’t focus on just the jackpot. Have fun playing the game and before you know it, you might just find a smaller win heading your way.
- Rule #4 – Winning the jackpot is a goal for anyone who plays the lottery. If you are just interested in winning the mega jackpot, then just play when the winnings are high.
- Rule #5 – You can’t win if you don’t play. Play regularly and you will be rewarded in some form of cash prize at some point.
Mega Millions Delivers Mega Action!
Mega Millions is mega big, so your odds of winning are going to be even more in your favour when you step out and start snapping up tickets. If you want to win, play your numbers and play them often. Mix them up, shuffle them around, go with the ones that “feel” right, and give it your very best effort to secure that jackpot to jackpots!